The PMR team within the Wood Nuclear business is looking for a skilled and experienced Project Manager to join our team supporting our key client EDF, and Nuclear Reactors at their UK plants, on our long term framework. The GSUK team has an annual turnover in excess of £40M, contributing to the wider Wood Nuclear target. The PMR team is split across multiple locations in the UK; from our home office in Knutsford, the client head office at Barnwood and at various plants around the UK. You will be part of a large client lead team at one of the EDF UK Plants supporting multiple projects within the station project portfolio. Project Managers are accountable to the Portfolio Project Manager (PPM) for successful delivery of all aspects of their assigned projects. The Project Manager sets the project execution strategy in agreement with the PPM and uses a cross-functional project team to deliver the project safely in line with company policies and procedures, achieving established goals and objectives within the agreed baseline. No direct reports.
1. Identifying, implementing and complying with applicable safety, environmental and quality standards, client procedures and policies and other relevant legislative and regulatory requirements.
2. Applying the client project controls standards and developing, maintaining, reporting and trending an accurate project baseline.
3. Securing, assigning and maintaining a project team containing all the resources required to successfully deliver the project, including specialist support staff.
4. Leading and coaching the project team members creating a positive team working environment.
5. Identifying and assessing risks and implementing effective risk mitigation strategies.
6. Managing assigned projects from concept (Gate A) to close out (Gate D) and maintaining effective integrated project execution strategies and plans.
7. Implementing and maintaining effective communication to the project team and all stakeholders including Station, Regulators and central support functions to ensure full understanding and commitment to the deliverables.
8. Meeting the specified project functional criteria.
9. Controlling scope and cost to the agreed project baseline, instigating and managing change control as necessary.
10. Contract management responsibilities where delegated in the F3 Nomination of Contract Roles form.
11. Maintain regular involvement of and communications with the Project Sponsor.
12. Ensuring that any control arrangements identified, as part of the implementation of Licence Conditions, are adhered to during the lifecycle of the project (for new plant this includes specific arrangements under SLC 19, 20 and 21)
To the Line Manager for:
1. Delivering the project in a safe manner to the specified functional criteria, goals and objectives, compliant with appropriate legislation, Project Procedures and within the approved project baseline, scope, cost, schedule and quality requirements.
2. Implementing and maintaining a competent, effective and efficient Integrated Delivery Team within the clients HR framework.
3. Minimising the project risks (threats) and maximising opportunities.
4. Maximising the project efficiency and effectiveness.
5. Early identification of issues and/or concerns that either have the potential or will impact the project baseline.
6. Proposing, agreeing, implementing and reporting corrective actions to secure the project baseline.
7. Providing accurate and timely information, data and reports regarding the project status, activities and performance, making use of earned value management where appropriate.
To the Project Sponsor for:
1. Maintaining alignment of the project to agreed outputs and success criteria.
2. Initiating change control with the Project Sponsor should the agreed outputs or success criteria be impacted by any project changes.
3. Documenting any post-Gate D activities that the Project Manager will complete.
4. Disseminating relevant learning opportunities via the Operational Experience system and/or the Lessons Learned system as appropriate.
Approvals in principle are as follows:
1. The assignment of key project personnel.
2. Project execution strategies and plans.
3. The commitment of sanctioned project funds within delegated financial powers.
4. All scope and change control variations within agreed limits.
5. Contract management tasks as delegated via the F3 form including instruction of supply chain partners within agreed limits.
1. Typically degree educated, ideally in engineering or a related subject. Chartered or equivalent preferred.
2. APMP formal project management (minimum Level D) qualification or equivalent.
3. Must have Nuclear Site or Highly Regulated Industry Experience.
4. Experience from working previously with EDF preferred.
5. The Project Manager must be fully versed in modern project management techniques within complex, multifunctional organisations; have a thorough understanding and knowledge of engineering, design, procurement, safety case, construction and installation/commissioning management and commercial contracting. They should also have significant brown-field project management experience.
6. Must be able to demonstrate an understanding of Safety Cases including how they are developed and implemented, relevant Health and Safety and Environment legislation including CDM and the actions required to achieve compliance along with a proven track record of working within highly regulated environments with high safety standards and culture. They must also have a good understanding of the needs of quality and how quality
is assured and controlled along with relevant experience of commercial, contractual and financial project drivers. Experience of fast-track projects and project start up with multiple work streams requiring rapid development to a conclusion.
7. Must have excellent communication and organisational skills with the ability to develop relationships and maintain effective networks and be results-focussed tempered with a team-centred approach. They must be a strong conflict manager with a firm and assertive approach but take the analytical approach with a “can do problem solving ability. Will require leadership, influencing and interface management skills and be capable of
working with communities with conflicting focuses.
8. Demonstrable experience of managing projects throughout the full project lifecycle, ideally across a range of complex multi-discipline projects and environments, and management of an integrated project team including staff, agency and assigned functional support. They must be able to demonstrate experience of estimating, cost control, planning and commercial awareness including the preparation of business cases and sanction/ funding papers.
9. They should be experienced in the preparation of reports and information using packages such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint, be proficient in the use of estimating, scheduling, programming and risk tools and in the use of Earned Value tools. Analytical approach with high-level problem-solving ability.
10. Mobility when required (within UK - full driving license).
Safety is the Number 1 Priority; we must therefore always act in a safe, responsible manner. Whilst Safety is not a behavioural competence, it must underpin everything we do and the following behavioural competencies are required:
1. Business Acumen
2. Challenge and Change
3. Decision Making
4. Leadership Values
5. Building Relationships
6. Leading through Teamwork
7. Open Communication
8. Developing Self and Others
9. Achievement Orientation
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of around $10 billion. We provide performance driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Not ready to apply, or can't find a relevant opportunity?
Join The Talent Community to keep informed about the latest Amec Foster Wheeler career opportunities, tailored to your interests.